Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Absent Minded

I haven't been able to post for awhile; I've been busy finding a job! I was laid off at the end of April and since have been living to find a living! My husband was already working extra shifts to make "extra" cash, but now the "extra" is far removed from reality.

Jason took my lay-off much better than I had anticipated. He's not crazy happy about it, but my fears of him freaking out were diminished when he said, "Well, it's not like it was all that unexpected." The company I worked for was owned by a MN based construction company. The real estate market is incredibly slow (understatement) so they're being forced to weed out people...keep family, get rid of everyone else.

I had already been applying for jobs, so it wasn't as if I had to dust off my resume. The problem with the job market isn't that there's a lack of great jobs, it's that there are MANY people just like me applying for the positions! I applied for a Police Admin job and 168 people applied for the ONE job! I had an inside pull, so I made it to the second round but in the end I didn't even get an interview. I'm dealing with each defeat well because I'm refusing to get my hopes up on any of the positions. I need a job NOW but getting my hopes up is only going to make my stress level worse!

I have an interview tomorrow for a healthcare insurance company. It's a basic Customer Service position, but a friend of mine works there and has had nothing but positive things to say about it. We'll see...

I also have an interview at the fire department my husband works for...yikes. I really really want the position. I know that I'm more than qualified for it, and quite possibly the MOST qualified for it....but then there's the fact that MY boss would be my best-friend's husband. He and I sat down in April and discussed the possibility and he's really on the fence. I know he's an incredible pain to work for but I really do think I can work through that with him. He and I have a open relationship...that may not sound right, but what I'm trying to say is that I have always been able to tell him 'like it is.' When he's being an ass, I tell him he's being an ass. I don't mix words with him. I've known him for almost 7-years now (I knew him before I knew his wife), and think there really isn't anything we can't work through. I can compromise and deal with things...otherwise known as 'biting my tongue,' and he will adjust to the fact that he can't get away with treating me (his assistant) like shit...like he does to everyone else in that place.

We'll see...I refuse to get my hopes up, but I am not going to dance around the fact that this job would change A LOT for my family.

Since I last posted MacKenzy turned 3! We had a great time and I'll post pictures soon.
We have also cracked the whip (figuratively) on the potty-training issue. There's no turning back, and its full steam ahead...and the future is looking bright!

No comments: