Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Juvenile, but loads of fun!

Several months ago I interviewed for a position at the fire department where my husband works. Now I knew going into it that being who I am could be a good thing or a bad thing, but I felt that I was more than qualified and could be an asset. I have also been working UNPAID at the department for 4 years with the Explorer program that my husband and I started. The words sung from the powers that be have always been, 'Put in your time here and we'll hire you.'

The other complicated item about the position would have been working directly under my best friend's husband. He and I are very good friends, I actually met her through him, but he has a severe superiority complex at work. He and I sat down before I applied and discussed me applying. He admitted that we have a open relationship where I can tell him 'like it is' and not fear a backlash. He can also expect that I would go out of my way to make that department look good.

Another friend of mine used to be in this position so I had heard the nightmares from both her, my husband, and everyone else in the department. It was no lie that I knew what I was getting into, but I really wanted the position.

I interviewed for the position in May. Since I know everyone on the department, I obviously interviewed with someone I knew quite well (two people actually). I felt that the interview went extrememly well. After a few weeks of not hearing anything I checked in to see where they were at.... Long story short, I didn't get a 2nd interview and therefore didn't get the position.

I'm a grown adult and can take defeat; if someone was more qualified than me so be it. That wasn't the case. The blonde bimbo got the job with NO experience! No medical background, only 6 months administrative experience, and no concept of the fire service! I was P-I-S-S-E-D!

Normally I wouldn't have done a thing, but since I knew enough about the "piece of ass" they hired, and have a good enough relationship with the boss- I called him. The first words out of my mouth were, "I'm insulted!" Instantly he got on the defensive and I laid it all out for him. I said that it would have been one thing if they had hired someone remotely qualified for the position, but to hire someone that knows NOTHING is a complete slap in the face. He had no idea (duh) that her previous supervisor was celebrating that she was leaving, and no idea that one of the interviewers knew her personally- as in he was chasing her around though they are both married, if you know what I mean.

In the end I said, "In your case, I hope she works out...but otherwise I hope she crashes and burns." He thanked me for the insight and asked that I apply for the Education position opening up in the Fall. I said, "I have too much pride to do that....plus, I'll be homeless by that time!"


Day 3 in the PoA's she called my friend (that previously had the job) bawling and freaked out because she didn't know how to do the things they were asking her to do. She asked if my friend would come over and show her how to...get this....use EXCEL. Too funny! God, if you don't know get a book or something! Figure it out!

Back to the LONG STORY SHORT thing...

Jason called me a few hours ago saying, "I have great news for you honey! Guess who put in their two week notice?" Yup, she didn't even make it 3 months!!! You can only pretend you know what you're doing for so long, I guess. Jason said that all of the officers were super pissed off and that they even tried to get her to take a Leave of Absence...I'm sure so it looks like it's all her, not them!

To say I'm laughing is a huge understatement! I would love to be there rubbing it in right now! Jason joked that if they came and asked me to take the position I could ask for triple the money... I think it would take a lot more than that!!!

So it may be a little juvenile, but I'll be happy to accept that and do my "I Told You So" dance!

No comments: