Monday, November 12, 2007

Potty Mouth

Okay, I am the first to admit that I can have a potty mouth. Since MacKenzy came along I've worked very hard to clean up my act. When either Jason or I mess up the other is sure to correct the other! When friends or family mess up we're sure to correct them with burning holes into their flesh with our laser eyes.

We have been very fortunate that MacKenzy hasn't picked up anything; that is until recently. First I must explain that my youngest brother, Matt, gave me my first lesson in child vulgarities when I was 17. In the small town grocery store, with no warning, he screamed A-S-S-H-O-L-E at the top of his lungs. Both my mother and I experienced the slow motion dash to the cart to cover his mouth. I think this particular moment in time has made me want to be extremely careful...I do not want to be half as embarrassed as my mother was!

So last week we were all packed in the truck driving somewhere or another. Jason was frustrated with me, as usual, and mid conversation said, "Damn it, Amy!" As soon as he said it the look of terror must have come across my face because his eyes doubled in size...whoops, kid-in-car! Immediately we hear, "Daddy! Why Mommy damn it?" Jason and I looked at each other with a look of "What do we do now?" I answered, "Oh, Daddy is being naughty and saying bad words." Luckily she left it at that.

Yesterday Jason's aunt Penny watched MacKenzy for a few hours. When I went to pick MacKenzy up Penny had a story to tell. Apparently MacKenzy was looking at a book and having trouble turning a page because they were sticking to each other. In MacKenzy's frustration she mumbled, "Damn it." Penny immediately reacted and said, "MacKenzy?" The look of "Oh Shit! I'm in trouble" came across MacKenzy's face. Penny calmly said, "Those are not nice words to say. Let's try and not say that again, okay?" MacKenzy agreed and went on with what she was doing.

I am happy to say that she's made it this long! Sad, but true! She could say A LOT worse things than 'Damn It,' so right now it's simply just funny

No comments: